Welcome to Small Victories Sunday! This weekly post will recap for you the reading I’ve done during the week, the food I’ve cooked, the posts I’ve written and the small victories I’ve celebrated in my personal life. When I started this blog over a year ago, I wanted a place where I could focus on those accomplishments in my life, both big and small. It’s helped me to focus and gain a healthier, more positive attitude as I juggle my 3 boys and the physical impairment of Rheumatoid Arthritis (a chronic and incurable illness). I thought Sunday would be a perfect day to reflect on the week that passed and look forward to the week ahead.
This Past Week I:
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (paperback) is required reading to maintain my professional license but it is quite insightful and I’ve had many “aha” moments. I am learning a little more about how I do handle situations and how I should better.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Kindle) has been entertaining and fascinating. I love how clever Holmes is being both the master of disguise and deduction. Although I didn’t read much for fun as a kid, I always loved a good mystery, Agatha Christie and Nancy Drew being my favorites. It’s nice to reconnect with a good mystery and the Adventures are great since it is a series of short stories.
WAS LISTENING TO
An entertaining beach read. BeBe Loudermilk falls for Reddy Williams, a charasmatic wealthy man. But her life turns upside down when Reddy turns out to be a con man and steals her livelihood from under her.
* Mango Peach Smoothie (pictured) from Mama Buzz. 4*
* Mexican Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas and Cilantro – Lime Rice Bowls (pictured) from Skinnytaste. 5*
* Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing (pictured) from Skyline Empire – but I didn’t add the poppyseeds because my kids wouldn’t eat them otherwise. 4*
* Buttermilk Waffles (pictured) from Cooking Classy. Best Waffles EVER. 5*
* Not pictured: Chorizo and Egg Tacos, Oatmeal with Strawberries and Pure Maple Syrup and Citrus-Tequila Chicken and Rice
* Signed up for the Beat the Heat Readathon taking place now through August 11th. I’ll be reading more than I normally do by reading during my youngest child’s naptime.
* Signed up for the ARC August Reading challenge and the Bout of Books Readathon. ARC August is to catch up on author review or advance review copies now through the end of August. The Bout of Books is a big week-long readathon coming up August 19th through 25th.
* Signed up for the Sherlock Holmes Reading Challenge. Although I didn’t read much for fun as a kid, I used to love reading mysteries, in particular Agatha Christie and Nancy Drew. It’s been fun getting into the clever and unique stories of Sherlock Holmes.
OTHER SMALL VICTORIES
* Reorganized the kitchen desk so Superstar has a place to do homework. Before pictures are too embarassing to post but pleased with the result so now all the kids’ art and school supplies are in the desk and more importantly, they know where to put the supplies back!
* Built RC from Toy Story with kids at the free Lowe’s Build and Grow Clinic. We love these clinics, free family fun but they fill up fast!
* Went to a free concert downtown and saw a couple bands. It was a muggy and sticky night but we enjoyed the music and free food!
* Swam for the first time in years. After a near drowning accident during swim lessons when I was a kid, I don’t attempt to swim. I know how it should be done theoretically but I am self-conscious and embarrassed that I am not a good swimmer. I am trying to conquer my fear and embarassment since I know that swimming is a great, low impact exercise for my joints.
Next Week I Plan To:
Finish The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and continue with my Beat the Heat Readathon books.
* Doughnut Pancakes with Donut Glaze Syrup from Cooking Classy
* Thai Basil Chicken from Chocolate Broccoli with Pineapple Fried Rice
* Copycat Macaroni Grill’s Penne Rustica from The Girl Who Ate Everything, Olive-Herb Bread and Strawberry Avacado Salad and Poppyseed Dressing.
WORK ON THE BLOG
* Review Devil in the White City
* Review The Girl in the Pearl Earring
* Sign up for the Nonfiction Adventure Challenge
Grab my button if you’d like to share on your blog or a Small Victories Sunday post to share it with me. Need inspiration? Click here for Small Victories writing prompts, but the sky is the limit so share whichever Small Victories you want to celebrate!
What are you reading, cooking or blogging about? What are you planning to do next week? What accomplishments are you proud of this week? Be sure to leave me a comment and a link to your Small Victories Sunday post for the week! I’d love to hear from you and cheer you on in those small victories you are celebrating!