I’ve wanted to work from home and dreamed of starting an online business since my oldest son was a baby. At the time, I was obsessed with scrapbooking and wanted to open a scrapbooking supplies store online and make my own note cards. Life, 2 more sons and a full-time job outside the home got in the way of pursuing that dream. Little did I know that in 2011, when I first started blogging as a way to cope with depression from my Rheumatoid Arthritis, I would find perfect springboard to the work from home business I dreamed of launching.
Do you dream of starting a work from home business too? But where do you even begin? Believe me, it can be difficult and completely overwhelming to get a business started. Especially when you work from home with kids and live on a single income.
I don’t have around the clock hours (or even 40 hours a week) to dedicate to my business. I don’t have tons of money to invest in mentoring programs or consultants to build the perfect business. I wish I did because I totally would make the investment to start my business off right. The reality is as a stay at home mom, I have to build my business with a small budget and around an unpredictable kid and health schedule.
Not the easiest of tasks but completely doable thanks to some amazing resources I’ve been researching to help me (and you) achieve our work at home dreams.So let me tell you about what I’m using to make my work from home dreams a reality…
1. A Passion Planner to Identify and Pursue Your Passions
First up, you need to find your passion. Starting a business requires investing a whole lot of time thinking, worrying, dreaming and breathing about your business. It needs to be centered around something you enjoy thinking about every waking minute of every day. It has to reflect a true passion.
My blog became my passion over the years and I have probably 5 different service and product based ideas of work from home businesses I can start using what I’ve learned from my blog to best serve my readers. What are you most passionate about? If you need help, check out this post on 3 Ways to Find YOUR Passion in Life (Besides Your Family). I know many moms can easily identify their passion for their families, but finding work you truly love doing can take more soul-searching.
I started using the Passion Planner this year and I am continually amazed at how this planner helps me stay focused on my goals for my family, my home, my self-care and my blog. With a Passion Planner roadmap that gets me thinking about what I want from my life, it’s the perfect exercise to complete to help you identify your dreams so you can make them your reality.
Now that we’ve got the ideas flowing for where your passions lie, let’s see how we can turn that into a work from home business.
Investment = $0 – 35 plus shipping. Download your free Passion Planner printables here to try it out and put it in your work binder, you can get it printed and bound at your local copy store or you can buy their beautiful bound planner with the faux-leather cover and high quality paper (pictured above) in the Passion Planner shop. Use my discount code TANYA10 to get 10% off your full=priced order.
2. Learn Everything You Need to Launch and Grow an Online Business with Busy Moms Building E-course
I honestly think Monica underpriced the incredible amount of work and information she put into this course. Busy Moms Building* takes you step by step what you need to think about before you start your business through building your network and growing your customer base.
What makes this course awesome:
- While 95% of blogging and business courses won’t touch the financial and legal aspects of setting up a business and tell you to talk to an accountant and lawyer, Monica dives in and brings the accountant and lawyer to us in videos to discuss exactly what kinds of things we need to do and WHY. While the advice may not replace the need to hire professional services, at least the videos gave me plenty of things I can get done on my own now, and what I need to research down the road so I can be a more informed client and hopefully reduce my lawyer’s fees. The lawyer covers type of business to setup, disclosures your blog needs now, the difference between copyrights and trademarks, and contracts you need and what provisions they must contain.
- Other expert bonus videos from coaches and branding experts
- each of the 12 module has at least one video (but most of them have multiple videos) ranging from 6 to 44 minutes
- actionable and useful worksheets so you can work through your blog or business to implement her recommendations
- free bonuses including her e-book of the same name, 101 Free Website Traffic Ideas, Launch an E-book in 30 days spreadsheet and blogging and family budget planners
- relevant to all types of businesses, both product and service based, good for people like me who are unsure what type of business to pursue but know they want to work from home
Investment = $27 for e-book and workbook alone – $147 for the full Busy Moms Building Course + bonuses. Get complete info on Busy Moms Building ebook and course here*
3. Master Your Productivity with Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen
There are tons of productivity tools on the market and the Ultimate Work from Home bundle* I mentioned has some valuable resources in it (including Amy Lynn Andrews’ book Tell Your Time). But the productivity book that STILL stands above the rest for me is Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity* by David Allen.
I listened to it once before on CD* back when I worked outside the home full-time and it got overwhelming trying to translating everything in my head onto an organized way. I did not have a sustainable system in place so I completely failed at achieving “stress-free productivity” which was the goal for me. Is stress-free productivity one of your goals?
But I reread Getting Things Done* once I discovered bullet journaling and the Passion Planner I talk about in #1 above. I can’t say that I’ve got everything completed on my to-do lists, but I CAN say that this book has been life changing in the way it taught me to FINALLY capture all my ideas and to perform an effective weekly review to continually improve my productivity and minimize my stress. I can’t say I’m 100% stress-free but I am stress-free when it comes to my productivity. I know I’m making the best use of my time at any particular point and giving my family my best.
Investment = $0-$30: Borrow it from the library for free or buy the paperback, hardcover or CD on Amazon*
Starting a work from home business is not going to be easy. It will take hard work, dedication and perseverance. Do YOU have what it takes? It’s time to stop fantasizing about pursuing a career you truly love and start taking steps to make your dream life a reality. With these 3 inexpensive and amazing resources, you can start your dream business for less than $50 TODAY! Together, we can make this happen. Ready? Let’s do this!
Until next time, keep chasing those dreams and celebrating your small victories!
Other Posts Like This You Might Enjoy:
Pin for Later
Unlock the Exclusive Subscriber Library
Subscribe now to gain access to the Exclusive Subscriber Library full of planners, printables and tips to plan and organize your life so you can crush your goals and achieve your dream life NOW!