Biscuits with Sausage Gravy
Southern-style biscuits with sausage gravy is a wonderful, comforting breakfast that my boys just devour. Shhh, don’t tell them that biscuits with sausage gravy is a pretty easy recipe to make! The star of this recipe is the gravy: the thick, creamy gravy warms your throat and soothes your belly.
I cook the gravy in a separate saucepan as I am trying not to eat as much meat to help ease my Rheumatoid Arthritis symptoms. My boys prefer more gravy and less sausage so I keep the sausage separate so I can use later in the week in a Western scramble or on homemade pizza.
You certainly can sprinkle the baking mix (or flour) directly on top of sausage and add milk to the same skillet for a one-pan gravy if you want easy cleanup or your family enjoys a meaty gravy. Sometimes, I don’t even put the sausage and instead scramble some eggs to put on top of the biscuit and then smother with gravy. Really, you can’t go wrong with this simple delicious gravy.
- 1 can 8-count refrigerated biscuits
- 1 pound bulk sausage
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup baking mix (such as Jiffy or Bisquick) or flour
- 2¼ cups milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Prepare refrigerated biscuits as indicated on package instructions. When finished cooking, keep warm in oven.
- Heat skillet to medium-high heat and cook and crumble sausage until browned and no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes.
- In separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Sprinkle baking mix/flour on bottom of pan. Pour milk slowly and whisk together until smooth. Heat to medium-low heat, stirring frequently, about 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, split open one biscuit, top with crumbled sausage and drizzle with gravy.
- To reheat, split open one biscuit and top with sausage, toast in toaster oven. Heat gravy in saucepan or microwave for 30 seconds.
Unlock the Exclusive Subscriber Library
Subscribe now to gain access to the Exclusive Subscriber Library full of planners, printables and tips to plan and organize your life so you can crush your goals and achieve your dream life NOW!