Note: This post contains affiliate links as indicated by an asterisk. Purchases from these links provides a small commission to me at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog should you decide to purchase.
I had Chipotle Restuarant’s barbacoa tacos and thought they were fantastic. Then I found this Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbacoa recipe on Coupon Crafty’s blog a couple years ago. My husband loved it and when you luck out to get chuck roast on sale, it’s an inexpensive and easy recipe. I could write a whole post on how much I love my slow cooker*, it even made my list of 8 Must Have Tools in the Kitchen.
Three chipotle peppers was too spicy for my kids but Superhubby and I liked it. I had read in one of the blog’s comments to put the whole can of chicken broth in so that’s what I did and it came out fall apart tender and juicy! The extra broth helps keep the meat tender should you have leftovers that you need to keep (keep some of the broth too).
The recipe below shows how I’ve adapted it and I make this pretty often. This is one of our family favorites and as you can see by the serving suggestions, a very versatile and tasty meat. This is a great dish to make for company or to feed a crowd where guests can build their own soft tacos, rice bowls, nachos or salad. I even put leftover meat and loads of fresh veggies on top of my homemade pizza and it is our favorite way to eat pizza. This Slow Cooker* Chipotle Barbacoa is a definite party pleaser and so easy to make it only tastes like you slaved all day making it!
Family Yumminess Rating: 5 of 5 stars
RA Ease of Prep Rating: 4 of 5 stars (the hardest part of this recipe is handling the roast, squeezing the lime juice and getting the lid on my mini food processor secured properly. Otherwise it’s very simple and only tastes like you’ve slaved over it all day!)
* Tip: To make this recipe even easier or if you are rushed for time, don’t worry about blending ingredients in food processor (save yourself another thing to clean). Chop the chipotle peppers as fine as you can and distribute the peppers and seasonings evenly over the browned pieces of meat in the slow cooker. Carefully pour the broth in the spaces between the meat so that the spices aren’t washed off when you pour it. The slow cooker* melds the flavors together beautifully as it cooks and the taste is amazing!
- For Barbacoa:
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, canned (for mild flavor. Add more peppers if you like it spicy)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs chuck roast
- 1 10-ounce can chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- For Cilantro-Lime Rice:
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- For Barbacoa:
- Make adobo sauce by combining vinegar, lime juice, peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and clove in a blender or food processor and puree on high-speed until smooth.
- Trim the fat from the meat, and then slice the roast into 6 smaller pieces.
- Sear all sides of the chunks of meat in olive oil until browned.
- Put meat in the crockpot.
- Add the adobo sauce on top of the meat, pour in the chicken broth, and add the bay leaves.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- At the five-hour mark, take the lid off and shred the beef with two forks. Cover and cook for the last hour.
- Topping suggestions: pico de gallo, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapeño
- Serving suggestions: in a warmed tortilla for a taco, on top of yellow or white rice for a rice bowl or on top of tortilla chips for nachos or on top of lettuce with corn, tomatoes and black beans for a fantastic Tex-Mex salad! It's a very versatile and tasty meat.
- For the Cilantro-Lime Rice:
- Combine water, rice, olive oil and salt in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low, cover saucepan, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let sit for 10 more minutes.
- When the rice is done stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Keep covered until ready to eat.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbacoa is perfect for tacos, pizza and a definite party pleaser! #recipes Click To Tweet
See my Linky Parties I Love page for where this recipe might be shared.
What are your favorite recipes to serve a crowd? What are your favorite slow cooker recipes? I always like to try new things, so please share your recipes with me!
Unlock the Exclusive Subscriber Library
Subscribe now to gain access to the Exclusive Subscriber Library full of planners, printables and tips to plan and organize your life so you can crush your goals and achieve your dream life NOW!