What can you do to lead a more fulfilling life? I’m giving my honest Powersheets review with the pros, cons and how the Powersheets helped me lead a more well-balanced life in 2018. With so many great planners on the market, it can be hard to know which planner will work well for you and I’m here to tell you how the Powersheets 2019 goal planner can transform your life.
Note: This post contains affiliate links as indicated by an asterisk. Purchases from these links provides a small commission to me at no extra cost to you.
I was tired. So tired. Of chasing lots of goals and feeling like I was getting nowhere. Of feeling lost and not knowing which path to take, do I continue to stay home or do I go back to work? I fell into the comparison trap and wondered why everyone else could have nicely decorated houses, successful blogs and fit bodies and yet, I couldn’t.
I have invested time and money in lots of planners. But in 2018, I used the Powersheets intentional goal planner* and finally learned how to uncover and pinpoint my MOST important goals so that I could focus and make progress on the chosen few to lead me on the path I chose, not just what stay at home mom life demanded from me. I learned that it’s ok to grow slow and that my goals will change as my season of life changes, the important thing is to just start right where I am NOW.
Cultivate What Matters founder Lara Casey is a brown thumb turned avid gardener and she uses her life experience and gardening metaphors to help illustrate how we are like plants. We are seeds that need digging, nourishing, cultivating and pruning in order to produce the sweetest and most beautiful flowers, fruit and life. The metaphors totally work for me and I love that Lara focuses on cultivating YOUR Best Life that YOU define from right where you are.
Let me clear up some possible misconception from the start. The 2019 Powersheets are only a goal planner, it is NOT a daily planner, agenda or scheduler. It is meant to be used as a wonderful companion to your regular life planner and yes, you’ll want a good life planner to help you execute these goals you cultivate. Alright, let’s get to the good stuff…
2019 Powersheets Review
I’ll be telling you about what’s new, the pros and cons of the Powersheets and what the Powersheets* helped me accomplish in 2018.
NEW! 4 cover color options for the 12 month planners!
They have 4 gorgeous colors for the 12 month “dated” planners. Here are the 4 covers to choose from and if you struggle to pick one, I found this graphic helpful though really they are all gorgeous!
The multicolored cover is just so happy! The multi has a busy and colorful leaf and flower pattern. The cover is made of a paperboard kind of material, thicker and more flexible than cardstock. In 2018, I only took out my Powersheets at the start of the month and I tore the tending list out to keep with my daily planner so the cover and white plastic spiral held up well enough for my use. My cover ended up bent slightly in one corner but it’s just well loved. 🙂
If I left the tending list in the Powersheets and opened and closed it every day, I think the cover would show more wear and tear. I like the white plastic spiral binding, it doesn’t scratch my furniture like prior planners metal spirals tend to do. The spiral has held up well this past year.
Here’s a closeup of the pink one too full of dark pink, fuschia, light pink and orange blossoms and leaves…yea, I don’t know which one I love more! One of these beauties is for me and the other is for a lucky winner so keep on reading to enter to win!
Just like in 2018, there are still beautiful pages with artwork and inspirational quotes from founder Lara Casey. The pages are very colorful and are consistent with the gardening theme to cultivate what matters to you in your life. This page just makes me so happy.
The Prep Work Pages Are STILL AWESOME
Here is what sets Powersheets apart from the majority of other goal planners on the market. It’s the 30+ pages of in-depth Prep Work pages that could make you exceedingly happy, push you out of your comfort zone and well, shed a few tears as you soul search. These pages help you identify your strengths and passions, your weaknesses and hidden fears and how you feel about your life in a variety of areas.
The truth of the matter is that these pages are the deep digging work you have to do to understand both your motivations and how to let go of your fears so you can focus on what matter most to you. Instead of just surviving your daily life, the Powersheets are designed to help you CULTIVATE and achieve the life you want. There are a few new Prep Work pages and I love the additions. that aligned perfectly with working to simplify my goals, life and processes in 2018.
You can devote a week (or as much time you need if you prefer to savor and go slow) to do them the pages in order, or do what you feel you most need. If you’re like me, then you’ll want to make copies and do them again throughout the year as you feel yourself losing focus, or feeling overwhelmed by constant life changes or interruptions. In any case, the Prep Work pages are the heart of the Powersheets* and fabulous for helping you get to the heart of the matter for YOU.
Tip: Last year, I bought the Powersheets in late December so I missed the chance to join Lara in Prep Work week (I think it’s at the beginning of December) where she walks through her Powersheets with us and get my goals and priorities planned out before the year started. I’ll be sure to start earlier this year so I can get the full benefit of Lara’s positivity, encouragement and inspiration. And yes, you’ll want to dedicate a couple weeks or all of December to really get real on the Prep Work and not feel overwhelmed.
Tip 2: if you want even more in-depth prep work, grab a copy of Lara’s book Cultivate* (that she signed for me during the photo shoot). I wish I had done it before the prep work so this year, I am going to journal some of the prompts she puts in the book so I can uncover more of what’s causing my fear and anxiety (especially for my blog business) so I can beat it in 2019 and make my work from home dreams come true!
Now that we have completed the deep digging and self-reflection, the Powersheets* then take you through brainstorming your best goals and developing action plans to get them done. The format is similar to years past but there is a new section dedicating to simplifying your goals, and like I said, I really needed that!
Now that your goals are defined, it’s time to get to work and fit your goals into your life and all those commitments you’ve got going on. This is really helpful so I don’t overextend myself when it comes time to write out my specific goals on my tending list. Overextending myself and underestimating how long things will take me to do is still a battle for me even though I’m an avid time tracker.
I love, love, love trackers and checklists because they help me SEE what I actually got done (instead of focusing on all the things that didn’t). I used to created all sorts of trackers and checklists to be able to monitor my goal progress. So when I saw these tending lists to track progress on my goals that were already done for me, I was ecstatic! This is their photo but I bought the goal setting sticker book* too to help embellish my tending list because it feels SO good to check off these boxes, make progress and celebrate our small victories!
As I mentioned above, I tear my tending list out each month and stick it right on top of my daily planner so that I keep my goals in mind as I complete tasks. At the end of the month, I tape it back into the Powersheets notebook.
Every Tuesday, Cultivate What Matters also hosts an Instagram live where a team member shares her tending list and encourages us to share our tending lists, the progress we’ve made and reminds us to give ourselves grace when we don’t get as much done as we’d hoped. Also follow the #tendinglisttuesday hashtag on Instagram to be inspired by other users’ tending lists. You’ll see me sharing mine too!
Each quarter in the 12 month goal planner* has a quarterly refresh where they focus on one area of your life and encourage you to slow down, rethink and improve. This is also the time when your goals get another evaulation and refresh. This is the time to adjust anything that is not working and fine tune what you’ll be working on for the next quarter.
End of the Year Work
There are a few more spreads to wrap up and celebrate the year to get you ready for the next. I haven’t worked through them yet, so I don’t really want to get too far ahead of myself.
2019 Powersheets Review: the Quick Pros and Cons
Skip to the end? Here’s a quick summary of the pros and cons.
- the most comprehensive goal planner in terms of prep work and really digging deep to figure out what motivates you
- if you feel lost or lacking purpose, Prep Work can help you find your path to a more well-balanced life
- encourages you to confront your fears and self-limiting beliefs head on so you can achieve your dream life
- beautiful and colorful artwork to inspire you
- monthly tending lists to track your progress on your goals
- reviews, evaluations and refreshes to make sure your goals change as your life. needs and commitments do
- Powersheets group Facebook community is wonderful! I find lots of grace, relatable stories and women helping each other stay true to what’s important to them
- the font is small. The one change in 2019 is the font seems tiny. I need my reading glasses! But yea, that’s really the only thing I didn’t like about the 2019 Powersheets.
- usually sells out fast so you don’t have time to waste.
- price, $50 to $60 and you’ll still need a separate life planner (I do think it’s worth the investment or I wouldn’t buy or recommend it to you)
What the Powersheets Helped Me Accomplish in 2018
Well I can tell you all about how I love using Powersheets*, but maybe I’ll just show you. Here are some of the goals that Powersheets helped me accomplish in 2018. I don’t say this to brag or to tell you that I have it all figured out (because I don’t). But I’m saying this just to demonstrate that in spite of my chronic illness and days when I’m overwhelmed juggling daily life with 3 boys, that making changes to a well balanced cultivated life is possible little by little…and if I can do it, you can too.
- I identified my fears surrounding my blog business, overcame the one that prevented me from selling my products for the last year and took the next step to make income from my blog
- I found the piece that was missing from my life (faith) and took action on filling that void. I tried lots of different things until I found the combination that felt the most fulfilling and right for me and my relationship with God.
- I cultivated relationships with family be remembering to call more often, have dedicated weekly family movie nights and be present with them when they need me
- I recognized character flaws I passed onto my kids and worked with them to teach them how to overcome overwhelm, fight negative self-talk, stress less over things they couldn’t control and to develop better habits and routines to manage their time better. My littlest son even made his own tending list , fear identification (that was eye opening seeing what he was afraid of) and goals page!
- I cultivated my relationship with Superhubby by increasing our dates from one to two a week and making more of an effort to be present and available when he needs me
- I cultivated my relationship with friends by setting monthly lunch dates with old friends and coffee dates with new friends
- I caught up on 18 months of financial reports and took better care of watching our expenses and simplifying our processes.
- Even though I stay home now, we were still able to maintain our automatic savings transfers and pay cash for our new car and other household renovations to remain debt-free (besides the mortgage).
- I cultivated better daily habits of drinking more water. taking my medicine, blogging and reading the Bible or for fun
- I established an earlier wake up time (5am) to really focus on my Bible or blog before the kids are awake, these are the two things that fire me up and inspire me to start the day off right and I make most of that fringe hour time.
- Made progress on completing Elite Blog Academy*
- I transitioned my email marketing system from Convertkit to Mailerlite* to save me $400 per year and still grow my email list and engage with my readers.
- We decluttered the office and turned it into a clean, open space where we all love to work
The thing I love is that some of these things would be easy to forget about at the end of an overwhelming or frustrating day, week or month. But by tracking these things in my goals and tending lists, the Powersheets help me celebrate the big and small victories and look back at the things I accomplished over the year instead of what I didn’t. To me, you can’t put a value on cultivating those relationships with family and friends and cultivating habits that make you feel stronger physically, spiritually and emotionally. And I have Powersheets to thank for that.
The Bottom Line Powesheets Review
The bottom line is that Powersheets* are an excellent tool for really doing the soul searching you might be resistant to, but is necessary to truly excel at your goals. By analyzing your fears, you can learn how to work through and overcome them, and get out of your own way to get things done. I love the prep work worksheets and I think they will be valuable to work through each year or as my priorities or seasons of life change.
Honestly, I thought Powersheets would be a one and done planner for me. Once I did the Prep Work, I didn’t think I’d need to do it again. But then I realized that my life? It changes constantly. No two days are the same with kids and a chronic illness. And I realized how many times throughout the year, I felt overwhelmed and how I needed the Prep Work to work through some of those fears and feelings. So this year, not only did I buy another set but I am going to copy some of my favorite sheets while they are still blank, so I can fill them out as I need it throughout the year.
I fell in love with the Cultivate What Matters shop message, their inspiration on Instagram, the power and support of the Facebook community and I don’t want it to end. I need the Powersheets to have another well-balanced cultivated year.
The cons to the Powersheets* are the cost and that you still need another planner or bullet journal to manage daily appointments and commitments (which some might see as a con but I don’t). I use the Daily Simplified Planner but I also have a planner comparison of the 11 most popular planners on the market if you need help finding your perfect planner.
I have really enjoyed using the Powersheets this year and think they helped me pinpoint and truly focus on the most important goals. I spent so many years spinning my wheels or getting distracted by my epicly long to do lists, that I failed to make noticeable progress. I felt like something was missing in my already busy life and the Powersheets helped me figure that out and fill that hole. The Powersheets* are helping me shift my mindset to a more positive one, focus and get things done!
My Favorite Powersheets Accessories and Supplies
You can get the Best Year Yet Bundle here* and if I didn’t already buy the individual items, I would totally have snagged this deal!
Must haves if you don’t get the bundle:
- Powersheets 2019 12 month Intentional Goal Planner*
- Papermate Flair pens, 12 pack (like this 24 pack*). Cultivate What Matters sells coordinating Papermate Flairs here*
- Goal Setting Sticker Book*
- Cultivate: A Grace Filled Guide to Growing an Intentional Life* by Lara Casey
- Pentel Energel .7mm black gel ink, needle tip pen*
- Emily Ley Pilot Precise Pen Set* or similar on Amazon*
- Zebra Midliner Highlighters*
- Crayola Colored Pencils, set of 50* – because it has gold, silver and bronze! Fancy!
- BTSKY Pencil/Pen Case, 120 slots* in Rose Red – made for 120 colored pencils, Most gel pens are wider pens and fit tightly. I had to skip a few loops but it still works.
Want to See How Powersheets Compares to Other Life and Goal Planners?
Subscribe to my newsletter here and get the Ultimate Planner Comparison chart for free! I’ve compiled all the data and pored through 11 of the most popular planners in the market to help you find the best planner for you…to beat overwhelm, to juggle your many roles, to tame the chaos and to find planner peace for your current season of life.