Welcome to our first ever Travel the World in Books Readathon from September 1-14, 2014. The purpose of our readathon is simply this:
Explore countries other than the one you live in. Read as much as you can of books set in a different country or by an author from a different country. Read for your own pleasure or learning, read with your kids or both. Travel the world from the comfort of your own home and learn about different cultures. Expand your horizons and show publishers that #WeNeedDiverseBooks to promote cultural understanding and diversity in our reading. Support diverse authors and books. #TraveltheWorldinBooksRAT
We have what we think is a fun schedule of events to encourage you to keep learning and reading about other cultures We hope you find some fellow book lovers to discuss your travel and book journey with and have fun along the way.
Here’s what we have in store for our Travel the World in Books Readathon Schedule:
August 29, 2014
* Sign ups are open until the end of the readathon September 14, 2014 at 11:59EST. You must be registered to be eligible for giveaways.
* Link up your readathon goals. This linkup will be open for the duration of the readathon so enter whenever you can.
Monday, September 1, 2014
* Readathon officially begins at 12:00am EST.
* Make Your Own Book Map Mini-Challenge & Giveaway hosted by Guiltless Reading – Start up your own book map using Google Maps … put in some of your past or recent reads. Be creative!
* Giveaways open for registered participants.
* Answer our Introduction Questions and get to know your fellow Readathon participants better.
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
* Global Reading Exposure Mini-Challenge hosted by GirlXOXO – Share a favorite book that’s set in a different region of the World from where you live.
* Answer out Getting to Know You Questions and meet other new to you bloggers.
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
* Interview with Adria J. Cimino, Author of Paris Rue des Martyrs. My review. Giveaway.
* Facebook chat at 9-10pm EST. Questions will be posted on my Facebook page. Respond during the chat or come back later and enter your comments.
Saturday, September 6 2014
* Co-Host Lost in Books Takes us Away to Asia
* Guest Post from A Reader’s Respite: O Canada!.
* Introducing our Travel the World in Books Readathon Pinterest Board.
Monday, September 8, 2014
* Interview with Renita D’Silva, author of Monsoon Memories, The Forgotten Daughter and newly released The Stolen Girl. See what it was like for her growing up in India.
* Linkup your Pinterest account.
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
* Spine Poetry Mini-Challenge hosted by Lost in Books – Create a poem out of book titles. Share your book stack and poems in the post comments, on your blog or on Instagram using the #TraveltheWorldinBooksRAT hashtag.
* Linkup your Facebook account.
* Recap of last week’s Facebook chat.
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
* Interview with Rebecca Stonehill, author of The Poet’s Wife, releasing Sept. 26, 2014 and set during Spanish Civil War.
* Guest Post from Spanish blogger, From Isi who shares her favorite Spanish authors.
* Twitter chat at 9-10pm EST. Follow Mom’s Small Victories, Lost in Books and Savvy Working Gal. Use the #TraveltheWorldinBooksRAT hashtag.
Thursday, September 11, 2014
* Guest Post from Mother Daughter Book Reviews-Children’s Activity Atlas Book Review and Giveaway
* Book Scavenger Hunt Mini-Challenge hosted by me, Mom’s Small Victories. Find books from your TBR or online that fulfill the hunt requirements. Share in the comments, on your blog or on Instagram using the #TraveltheWorldinBooksRAT.
* Co-Host Lost in Books Takes Us Away to the Americas.
Friday, September 12, 2014
* Co-Host Savvy Working Gal hosts an interview with Krista Bremer, author of My Accidental Jihad. Check out her tips for achieving your writing goals and what she learned from meeting her in-laws in Libya.
* Linkup your Google + profile.
Saturday, September 13, 2014
* Guest post from Crystal’s Tiny Treasures: Review of kids’ book The Herd Boy by Niki Daly, set in South Africa and an adorable sheep craft.
* Co-Host Lost in Books Takes Us Away to Australia and the Pacific Islands. Get great book recommendations for Australia and Pacific Islands.
Sunday, September 14, 2014
* Readathon and giveaways officially end at 11:59pm EST.
* Linkup your wrap up post showing us what you read and accomplished. Linkup will be open until Tuesday, September 16th.
* Take our feedback survey to let us know what you’d like for future events.
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
* Giveaway winners will start being notified via email.
It’s going to be a fun couple of weeks and we can’t wait to share with you all the fantastic, diverse and creative authors and guest posts we have to share with you. We hope our event encourages you and your kids to enjoy reading about different cultures and embrace our diversity.
Unlock the Exclusive Subscriber Library
Subscribe now to gain access to the Exclusive Subscriber Library full of planners, printables and tips to plan and organize your life so you can crush your goals and achieve your dream life NOW!