Reading challenges are a fantastic way to broaden your reading horizons, learn and read more than you do now. I have lots of reading challenge ideas but the Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge is the one I created to explore new cultures and countries from the comfort of some amazing books.
I started the Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge in 2014 and had teamed up with Fictional 100 and Guiltless Reading. It was a no-stress, no-worries, kind of challenge that helps you expand your reading and cultural horizons. I’m doing it on my own now but still it’s a goal to read around the world in books!
I think it’s important to learn about different cultures and countries so that we can develop an empathy and understanding for others, what they experience and how it shapes their life perspective. I wish I could travel the world in person but with a family of 5 and a chronic illness, it’s just not possible in this season of life. So what better way to travel the world than through the pages of a book? I can get lost in new places and adventures I may not be able to see otherwise.
Traveling the world in books has also been great learning opportunity for my kids to learn about other cultures too. I am often bringing home library books so they can learn about the world around them. We talk about what it must be like to live in another place, maybe in one that is different in climate, or one that is different politically or economically. It helps them understand what others go through and gives them a sense of appreciation for the life they have.
Whether you travel the world in books on your own or with your kids, won’t you join me to travel the world in books?
Note: This post contains affiliate links as indicated by an asterisk. Purchases from these links provides a small commission to me at no extra cost to you.
My Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge Goals
Read 50 books in 5 years (7/1/2014 – 6/30/2019) that take place in countries other than the US (where I reside), both fiction and nonfiction. I will track the books I read on this page and on my Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge Google Map. I completed the first phase of this challenge in 2018!
Now I’ve extended the challenge for another 50 books. First, my goal is to read the books I’ve already bought for the challenge and then I want to diversify my reading so that I tackle new countries/cultures I haven’t read about before.
Challenge extended! 50 more books, first off my TBR bookshelf of books I’ve already bought and then to diversify so I read from more countries I haven’t read about yet.
Total Different Countries Visited in Books: 28
Have you read any of these? Any suggestions to add to my reading list to help me visit more countries in books?
What Should I Read Next from my Travel the World in Books Bookshelf?
Here are some of the books I have on my To Be Read (TBR) Bookshelf for my Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge. Which of these have you read and should I read next? It’s my goal to finish a good chunk of these in 2022! Leave me a comment and let me know what I should read next?
- The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett (various European countries)
- Rebecca by Daphne Maurier (Monaco and England)
- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia)
- Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (England)
- a Trick of the Light by Louise Penny (Canada)
- The Lake House (England)
- The Fencing Master by Arturo Perez-Reverte (Spain)
- The Storm Sister by Lucinda Riley (Norway)
- Cleopatra’s Daughter by Michelle Moran (Egypt and ?)
- The Angel’s Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Spain)
- Station Eleven (Canada)
- #1 Ladies Detective Agency (Botswana)
- Morality for Beautiful Girls (Botswana)
- The Inerhitance of Loss by Kiran Desai (india)
- Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (Syria, Armenia)
- The Golden Son by Shilpi Somaya Gowda (India)
- Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon (Scotland)
- Bella Tuscany by Frances Mayes (Italy)
- In the Shadow of the Banyan (Cambodia)
- Island of Wings (St. Kilda, Scotland)
- Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter (Italy, Scotland)
- the 100 foot journey
- Peony in Love by Lisa See (China)
- The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho (Egypt, Morocco)
- Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (Ethiopia)
- The Mango Bride (Phillipines)
Suggestions Needed for my Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge!
Here are some of the countries/regions/continents I need book recommendations for! If you have a recommendation, please share!
- Ukraine – I would love to support Ukranian authors!
- Galapagos Islands
- Eastern European countries
- Middle East besides Afghanistan
- most of Africa!
- Greek islands
Other Reading Posts Like This You Might Enjoy
Subscribe to my Newsletter and get free Bookish printables and Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge with me!
I hope you will join me on a reading adventure to travel the world in books! My Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge is designed to be no stress and all fun so you can choose your own adventure as you explore new countries and cultures in the world’s best books!